Punjabi dum aloo and Kashmiri dum aloo recipes looks very similar but the difference is - in Punjabi dum aloo we use tomato and cashew nuts paste where as it's not used in Kashmiri dum aloo. Wait for time I will post Kashmiri dum aloo too ASAP🤗😍. For this dum aloo we use baby potatoes, if you donot find it in your area you can also use normal potatoes by cutting it into half 😋.Just donot miss the taste of the recipe because of that reason 😁😍.
Let's start recipe...
Punjabi Dum Aloo
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cook Time : 20 to 30 minutes
Serves : 3
Category : Gravies
Recipe Cuisine: Punjabi
Main ingredients :Baby potatoes
Author : ArunaSarasChandra
Baby potatoes - 12
For potato coating
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Oil - 3 tsp(to shallow fry)
Oil - 1 tsp
Onions - 1 (big size or 2 medium)
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Garlic - 2 cloves
Elachi - 1
Clove - 2
Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch
Tomato - 2
Cashew nuts - 5
For dum aloo
Oil - 4 tsp
Butter - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Crushed fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Kasuri Methi - 1 tsp
Black pepper - 5
Bay leaf - 1/2
Red chilli powder - 1 tspCoriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Water - 1 cup
1) Wash baby potatoes and cook it for 1 whistle and remove its skin once it becomes cool to room temperature.
2) Now poke all the boiled potatoes using fork so that potatoes absorb masala well.
3) Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder salt and 1/2 tsp of oil to the potatoes.
4) saute everything well and rest it for 5 minute so that masala will coat well to potatoes.
5) Take a pan add 3 tsp of oil let it heat for a second and add coated potatoes and shallow fry it on medium to low flames till it becomes roast as shown below and take the fried potatoes into plate and keep it aside.
6) In the same pan add 1 more tsp of oil and add elachi, clove, dalchini, ginger, garlic one after other and fry it for a second. Then add chopped onions and salt fry till onions changes color.
7) Let the above cool and take it into mixer jar and grind it smooth paste and take it into cup.
8) Take a pan add 3 tsp of oil and 1 tsp of butter let it heat for a second then add cumin seeds, crushed fennel seeds(saunf), pepper,bay leaf, crushed kasuri Methi fry it well.
9) Then add red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powders and garam masala powder fry everything well in low flames otherwise masala will burn.
10) Now add above onion paste into masala, mix everything well.
11) cook the above till oil oozes out.
12) Meanwhile prepare tomato puree.Take a mixer jar add chopped tomatoes, cashew nuts and grind it smooth paste and keep it ready.
14) Mix the above well and cook it for 5 minutes so that tomato puree will cook well.
15) Now add fried baby potatoes, and 1 cup of water into above gravy, mix everything well and cook it on medium to low flames for 5 to 10 minutes by closing lid.
16) Atlast add 1 tsp of butter and coriander leaves mixeverything well and take it into serving bowl.
Yummy, delicious and flavored Punjabi style dum aloo is ready to serve 😋😋. We can have this Punjabi dum aloo with any flavored biryani's/pulaos roti's. I had it with plain rice with dollop of ghee, onion slices and lemon, is n't it taste heavenly 😋😋😋😍❤️.
* You can also use poppy sedds (gasgasalu) to prepare gravy.
* You can also fry tomato along with onions and prepare gravy paste.
** You can deep fry boiled baby potatoes to get crispy taste.
** Do not forgot to poke potatoes, it makes potato obsorb the gravy inside the potato.
** Adding masalas in oil(step - 9) will gives the gravy good taste and restaurants look to gravy. Keep flames low so that masalas(red chilli powder.. ) do not burn.
** If you do not find baby potatoes then no problem cut large potato into pieces and use.
** Using butter will give good taste and texture as it is Punjabi dum aloo😊😋😋.
Check out few curry and other recipes👇
Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan
paneer butter masala
Stuffed paneer capsicum
Hope you like this yummy and delicious Punjabi style dum aloo using baby potatoes recipe. Give it a try and drop your comments in inbox.
Also follow me on
In facebook @Facebook
In Google+ @Google+
In pintrest @pintrest
In Instagram @Instagram Also drop your feedback 🤗😍.
You can also search recipe in BetterButter
Thanks for visiting my blog,ArunaSaraschandra 😄