Pachai Sundakkai thogayal/ thuvayal with step by step pics and tips. It is popular thogayal recipe from Tamil Nadu cuisine. Sundakkai means turkey berries in English, usthikaya in Telugu and kudanekayi in Kannada. Thogayal or thuvayal is tasty appetizer which looks like chutney. We always confuse the difference between thogayal /thuvayal and chutney , thogayal / thuvayal and chutney is different in taste and texture.
Check out chutney recipes from youtube channel
Pachai Sundakkai Thogayal - https://youtu.be/N5ucJoaoII0
Wood Apple Chutney / Vellakaya pachadi -
*Thogayal is thick in one consistency, we can have it with plain rice or with curd rice. We use less water or no water while grinding. Ingredients like urad dal, red chillies, mustard and chillies are fried before grinding. Giving tempering to thogayal is optional. We call it as roti pachadi in Telugu.
*Chutney is thin or running consistency, and mostly we have it with breakfast like idli, dosa or upma. We use water while grinding chutney.
Sundakkai taste bitter, but it has many health benefits, it controls diabetes, prevents gas trouble, strengthen bones and many more. I have turkey berry plant in my garden, I prepared this chutney few times, hubby loved it a lot. I experimented it in different ways, but loved this thogayal a lot. Fresh turkey taste bitter, thogayal which i am sharing is not much bitter in taste. Have this thogayal with hot steamed rice and dollop of ghee or with gingelly oil, surely you will love to have it again and again.
Health benefits of Turkey Berry / Pachai Sundakkai
* Good for diabetic people
* Treats Anemia
* It is rich in Vit-C, acts as antioxidant & anti infection
* Cures abdominal cramps
* Cures indigestion problems
* Good for heart
* Promotes kidney functioning
Do check Turkey berry some chutney recipes from my blog..
Foodie Monday Blog Hop
Turkey berry - 50 grams
gingelly oil - 2 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
urad dal - 1 tsp
chana dal -1 tsp
curry leaves - 1 sprig (I dint used ** check tips)
red chilli - 3
green chilli -2
fresh coconut - 2 tsp
tamarind- small marble size
hing - 1 pinch
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
jaggery - 1/2 tsp
1) Fresh turkey berry looks like this.
2)Remove turkey berry heads and wash it well in water.
3) Heat 2 tsp of gingelly oil or normal oil in a kadai. Gingelly oil gives very aroma and good taste to thogayal.
4) Add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds fry it on low flames.
5) When mustard seeds starts crackling, add 2 tsp of urad dal fry till changes color. Then add methi seeds, red & green chilli fry well and take it into plate.
6) Crush fresh turkey berry in mortar pestle coarsely, then fry it in kadai on low flames.
7) When white layer formed on turkey berry then switch off the flames.
8) Take fried ingredients into mixer jar, add turmeric powder, hing, coconut pieces, tamarind, jaggery and grind it coarsely.
9) Now add fried turkey berry, salt in the above add some water and grind it finely.
That's it our healthy and tasty pachai sundakkai thogayal is ready to serve. Serve it with hot steamed rice, dollop of ghee and enjoy your meal.
** By adding fresh coconut and jaggery will reduce bitter taste. If you want thogayal bitter skip adding both.
** Chutney color depends on the variety of red chilli we are using. For video i used Kashmiri red chilli so thogayal color was red.
** crush turkey berry before frying, as it changes color quickly.
** You can also add onions, garlic by frying.
** Add less water to get thick consistency.
Do check some chutney recipes from my YouTube Channel and blog, surely you will like it...
Velakkaya Pachadi / Wood Apple Chutney(video link)
mosdeng serma-tripura tomato-chutney
Mango bisi uppinakayi
Nagaland - Pumpkin Oambal
Green tomato chutney
Guntur Dosakaya Pachadi
Kobbari perugu pachadi
Coriander Tomato chutney
Raw Mango Moong dal chutney
Also follow me on
Also drop your feedback 🤗😍
You can also search recipe